The 7 most in-demand skills in renewables
The UK, like many other countries, has been shifting away from carbon fuels into cleaner, greener and sustainable sources of energy for decades. We look at the 7 most sought-after skills and attributes in renewables right now.
It’s only been in recent years, as global governments work towards a Net Zero deadline and public demand increased, that the green economy has gained momentum.
Naturally, the volume of new jobs created in renewable energy sectors has soared. In 2018, there were 11,685 jobs in energy storage in the UK, 5,288 jobs in solar, 4,250 jobs in wind and 3,592 in bio energy.
These figures will steeply rise in the coming years. Switching to a green economy, however, requires a workforce with the right skills.
While renewable energy companies draw their staff from a broad range of professions, there’s a serious skills gap in many of the more technical, hands-on roles.
As specialists in recruitment for the renewable energy sectors, we believe renewable energy represents a tremendous opportunity for candidates with valued soft skills who are looking to re-train, up-skill or change careers.
Here, we explore the 7 skills and attributes that are most in-demand right now – and the training opportunities available:
#1. Communication skills
There are few sectors in which strong communication skills aren’t a key requirement, but in renewables, it’s one of the most highly prized skills. This is largely because many roles in renewables require a high degree of collaboration with other teams.
#2. Project management experience
The ability to juggle multiple aspects of a project – under pressure against tight deadlines – is enormously valuable. Employers often prioritise candidates who can demonstrate successfully managing projects in challenging situations.
#3. A STEM background
This isn’t essential in all renewables roles, but overall, an educational background in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) shows you’re capable of critical thinking. This is an incredibly valuable skill for any technical role.
#4. Social awareness
Employers like to see team members who walk the walk, as well as talk the talk. In renewables, this means having a good understanding of social responsibility and sustainability, and being mindful of your own impact on the environment.
#5. HVAC experience
Engineers and technicians with HVAC experience are the most in-demand workers in renewables right now. The UK geothermal industry is booming, with demand for ground source and air source heat pumps is sky high. Many professionals have crossed over from more traditional HVAC careers and can command excellent salaries.
#6. Customer care
Many roles in renewables – even the most technical ones – tend to require customer interaction. Whether the customer is an individual homeowner or a large public authority, being able to clearly articulate solutions, talk through products and deliver service are all key.
Renewables workers in a multitude of sub-sectors will generally have to collaborate across the board – with colleagues, stakeholders, technicians, engineers, sales teams, directors and clients. Teamwork, therefore, is a frequently required attribute.
Finally, for those looking to cross over into renewables, we’ve rounded up some of the most useful courses available right now:
TRAINING + RESOURCES
- The European Energy Centre (ECC) provide a range of courses, including Solar PV, Electric Vehicles, Wind Power, Electronics and Heat Humps.
- The Open University has several renewables courses which count towards OU qualifications.
- Find Courses lists almost every available training course in renewables. Providers include The Energy Institute, BPP Professional Education, the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET) and Activate Learning.
- Trades Courses offers the opportunity to gain nationally recognised qualifications. These include City & Guilds, NVQ and ACS to train as a plumber, electrician, gas engineer, welder or renewable energy engineer.
- Reed also lists short, self-paced online courses in renewable energy. These are ideal for those new to renewables who want to get an introduction to the industry.
- Logic4Training runs a specialised course in Heat Pump Training (LCL Awards RQF Level 3 Award in the Installation and Maintenance of Heat Pump Systems).
- TradeSKills4U provides City & Guilds and BPEC courses in Solar PV Installation and EV Car Charging Point Installation.
A&D Recruitment are specialists in recruitment for the renewable energy and building services industries. For more candidate tips, visit our blog section or contact us today for a friendly, informal chat about how A&D Recruitment could support you with your next move.
Trackback from your site.